Robin's nests cookies for the holidays!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 drops blue food coloring
- 1 drop green food coloring
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks then stir in the vanilla. Stir in the flour and mix well.
- In a shallow dish, such as a pie pan, beat egg whites until foamy. Spread walnuts on a plate or waxed paper.
- Roll 1 teaspoon of dough into a ball; roll in egg whites then in walnuts. Place 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet. Make a depression in each ball with your thumb.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cream the remaining 2 tablespoons butter with corn syrup, blue and green food coloring and almond extract. Gradually stir in confectioners' sugar. Roll 1/2 teaspoon of fondant mixture into egg-shaped balls. Place fondant eggs into hollows of baked cookies.