Is it amazing? RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Night Cream...
According to the Mintel Global New Products Database, nearly 300 retinol-containing cosmetics have hit the market since 2003. The latest crop includes Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Intensive Eye Cream, RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15, Avon Anew Line Eliminator Neo-Retinol Line Plumper SPF 15, MD Skincare Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel and overnight creams like SkinCeuticals retinol 0.5 and 1.0 formulas.
Many dermatologists blame a lack of patient education. “It’s one of the most misunderstood drugs,” said Dr. Kenneth Beer, a dermatologist in Palm Beach, Fla., and a clinical investigator for Allergan, the maker of prescription Avage and Tazorac. He is also an Allergan shareholder. People use Retin-A too much, use it too often, experience negative side effects and then give up on it too soon, doctors say. The problem with Retin-A is that it may actually make skin look worse — with redness, flakiness and peeling — for up to eight weeks. “But by 24 weeks, patients will see dramatic, marked improvements,” Dr. Lee said.
O, The Oprah Magazine | From the July 2009 issue of O, The Oprah Magazine
2. You don’t want to go to the dermatologist. While prescription formulas yield the most impressive results, an over-the-counter retinoid, called retinol, can also improve lines and discoloration. Because retinol is gradually converted into retinoic acid (the active ingredient in the prescription creams) it is less potent. Count on 12 weeks before seeing results.
- Don’t use a retinoid if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Benzoyl peroxide and alpha hydroxy acids may deactivate retinoids, so don’t layer them.
- Waxing can cause excess redness on retinoid-treated skin; don’t use a retinoid for several days before a treatment.
- A small percentage of people with ultrasensitive skin can never tolerate a retinoid; if you’re one of them, use a gentle physical exfoliator twice a week to soften your skin, and be extra-conscientious about sunscreen to prevent collagen loss in the first place.